For centuries, Native Americans used what would become Live Oak Landing and the surrounding forest as a base for hunting and fishing excursions. They thrived off the land, soil, live oaks and river. As time passed, the area became known as McDaniels’ Fish Camp, owned and operated by R.C. Thomas. Inherited from his grandfather who purchased the land in 1930, Thomas still lives a stone’s throw from Live Oak Landing.